Monday, November 08, 2004

What is going on at home?

I called my mom and dad last night to talk to my son and I get my niece who tells me very happily that she 1) earned her orange belt in karate, and 2) she and grandma got baptized today. WHAT? In which church I asked. She said in 'their' church. My mom, after 50 years of being LDS decided against my dad's wishes, was baptized into a church (I don't know which one). I knew she was going to a different church because they allowed her to drink coffee and didn't judge her (this from her mouth).

I am upset because all of my life my mom has preached to me to do the things the church teaches. Live my life like a good Christian, be giving, kind, loving, and most of all charitable. Yet, we all knew that she had problems with the LDS faith because she has this obsession with coffee. Coffee! Of all things she could have an obsession about and it comes down to something that she is addicted to and it isn't even alcohol or drugs which, to me, is much worse.

My bishop said to me not to long ago when we were discussing my mother (we don't do this on a regular basis mind you, it was a special circumstance), coffee is just a thing. It isn't something that should hold you back from growing as a Christian. I agree.

This also upsets me because before I came back to the church 5 1/2 years ago, I was living in Salt Lake City finishing up my bachelor's. While I was in SLC, my mom and dad graciously took my boys and put them in school. They lived 3 hours from me and I saw them on the weekends and whenever I could. Anyway, mom decided that the boys needed religion so she called the LDS missionaries to come and teach them. After they had had all of the lessons, then she asked me if it was o.k. if they be baptized.

Is that hypocritical or is that my feeble mind being childish? I don't get it. My dad is beside himself. He has voiced to me that they have had marital problems this past year and today, he told me the reason was her newfound religion. How do you raise your family in a church, show such passion for it, and turn your back on it for as little as a habit?

It may be petty to some but I am very passionate about my religion. I know what I am taught is true and I have a testimony of it. I also know that my mother was a big part of the reason I decided to go back to the LDS religion. At no time when I was not religious did I even want to go to another denomination.

I have cried and prayed, prayed and cried, and lost sleep. I hope I will get an understanding as to what in the heck is going on.

Comments:
Kim have you asked her? Have you expressed these questions to her the way you did here? In your shoes, I'd want to know from her what her reasoning is. And I think you are absolutely entitled to your confusion. It's what she taught you and yet she has turned from it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?